Tuesday 29 May 2007

Hard missionary life?

Last week’s Monday the Finnish team went to a small community of about 500 people, called Hauraruni. From Georgetown it’s about one hours drive to Hauraruni. In the 70’s some pioneers came (Philip Mohabir, sister Elma, Elsworh and others) and started with machetes to fight the jungle. Today there’s a childrens home, a bible school and a primary school besides the scattered houses.

We were spoiled in Hauraruni. Sometimes we had three women cooking for us! We got different Guyanese dishes – cookup rice with seasoned fish, roti and curry, choi men and chicken. When Elsworth picked us up on Wednesday he laughed and said that we’ve been experiencing hard missionary life in Guyana.

But we got to do some work too in Hauraruni. Some Swedes has sent a swing and a climbing scaffold. Together with some strong Guyanese men we build these during Tuesday and Wednesday. It was good to be outdoors and to do some use. On Tuesday we also spent some time with the children. We sang songs togheter, played games and just spent time with them.

Hauraruni only got electricity from 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.! But at least I and Jonas got accustomed to the Hauraruni lifestyle as soon as we got there. At 9 o’clock on Monday I was ready for bed. On Tuesday I would have been, but Kencil - a guy in about my age - had invited us to him to listen to some Carribean music. He also taught me some Creole. If some guys try to mess with me I’ll say “I is a bad woman, dun mess wid me, I gun buz yah head” – nice finnish talk, right? They say I sound as a Jamaican – at least it’s better than to sound as a Finn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tjena tjejen!

Hoppas jag klarar av att använda det här... heh...

Vitsi va de sker där bortom haven :) Låter som en hel massa skoj. Är faktiskt lite avundsjuk. Ser mysigt ut det där att dricka direkt ur en kokosnöt.

Vad händer här: jag har avklarat avslutande praktik = aldrig mer övis! Har "ledigt" nu just. Nästa vecka ska jag börja tjäna pengar = eventuell resa närmare hösten. Gradu = står still nu just men snart ska det också tas itu med :)

Men, ha det så skönt där. Take care! Vi hörs, kjamisar!!!

H. Minna :)