Saturday 2 June 2007

Finns returning home


Yesterday the last Finn left Guyana, except for me, but I like to count myself as a Guyanese, or at least Finnish-Guyanese:) To fit in among the rest of the Guyanese I had to get my hair done! The women here take good care of their beauty – almost every week they go to relax their hair or to do some other makeover.

There is a lot I could tell – but I think I save something until when I come home to Finland. (When Bewonne, my hairdresser asked me when I’m going home I answered when sister Carmen is going, but then I realized that she talked about home Finland and I changed my answer to the beginning of July) Well, last Friday we were to Tapacuma (another Indian village) and then came to Georgetown. I got my stitches taken off the same day, which was an experience! That evening I was so tired so I couldn’t do anything but cry. But the wound is healing (by the way it’s closer to 7 cm than 3 cm). It’s now quite dry. But it’s difficult to rest it when you want to do things like walking or dancing.

Last Saturday we got a small feeling for the interior of Guyana. I can tell you that many roads are better than “the road to Quakwani”. Let me just mention words like: sand, rain, empty spare tyre, no breaks, about 20 persons and a minibus (Toyota – they have a lot of Japanese cars here). Let’s leave the rest for your imagination :) But we were pretty relaxed, but we understood why Elsworth didn’t join us :) There was a concert we joined. The main artists were AA (don’t remember his full name), one of the most popular christen artists (singing in hindi style), and Rondell – a rap artist. Great!

This last week we’ve been in Georgetown – good to be able to take it easier. On Monday I’ll go and visit a school where I’ll be teaching (for a few weeks). It’s really good and relaxing to be here. It’s fun to hear what you are doing so don’t be shy to comment my blog or send some e-mail. Soon I’ll go back home (over the church yard) and see if Carmen is done cooking (I think she was making some cook up rice, which includes chicken and coconut). Take care all of you!

6 comments:

Jeani said...

Hejsan! Du måste lägga in en bild på din nya frisyr! :)

Det är min sista lediga dag innan jag börjar jobba idag... Har bland annat ägnat dagen åt att inviga vårt nya kubbspel och sola. Fast värmen här inte riktigt går upp mot den ni har där borta har det varit riktigt skönt. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Hanna!Det verkar att vara full action hela tiden för dig, låter intressant och spännande!Jag som trodde att livet där gick i en lugnare takt än här, hur är det? Nu har det varit skolavslutning och studentfestande hela helgen, och verkligen fint o varmt väder. Våra äppelträd blommar och doftar.Gud är god! var välsignad, kom hem innan du ändrar identitet helt och hållet!!!kramar från A B

Anonymous said...

Skönt att det redde upp sig med foten! Det var så härligt att se de två som kom hem, så sprudlande på nåt sätt ... Ha det bra!
Kram Sb

Anonymous said...

Hallo Hanna, its good you are enjoying yourself in Guyana. The hair looks great gal, i see they(Guyanas)are taking good care of you. I thank God for taking good care of you guys and may He lead you all the way(please post more pics.).

Anonymous said...

Hej Hanna!

Antar att det är resans första "riktiga" frisyr. Det lär väl komma några till under resans gång. :) Alltid lika spännande att se resultatet...
Kul att höra att du har det bra och att foten blir bra den också. Njut av tiden i Guyana!
Kram Lena

Anonymous said...

Hej hej,
här är en liten bitter Ida som inte har fått varken blog site eller ny e-mail av dej!! Alltså är det först nu som jag har läst igenom vad du skrivit om resan. Hoppas foten blir bra och att du kan slita dej från stället sen när juli kommer, vill ju inte att din karriär som Hesa bo ska ta slut innan den börjat! Sköt om dej!