Monday 25 June 2007

Guyanese "Midsummer"

In Finland people have been celebrating Midsummer. Here I have kind of lost sense of time. In Finland the seasons make you aware of time, but now it’s as if I’ve traveled beyond time. I count my time in how much time I have left – 2 weeks.

I have done a lot of walking this week, so I’m pleased. One evening I got company of Anthony, we went all the way to the sea wall and back (4 km? x2). On Thursday I was out walking with Anil Azeez (the one who sings chutney) several hours. He sent greetings to the Finnish team who was here. I think I should do some walking with girls also – on Saturday when I was introduced to a woman she said “You’re Anils fiancĂ© right” – uuups:/ Luckily I can report that Sherry took my out on Sunday.

On Saturday I gained independence. First I went by myself to Burda market and a shop nearby to buy greens, chicken and coconut milk … for my cook up!! So I have actually cooked Guyanese food! Carmen and Elsworth were away this weekend (only the young people and granny in the house…) so I thought it would be a good opportunity to cook. And I actually succeeded. According to Andre, Eworth, Karlene and Fiona I passed. They said it was good. I still have a few Guyanese judges who haven’t given their report. Miss Hazel who originally told me (through Gunilla) how to make cook up, received her portion on Sunday to carry home (I did it the Guyanese way; after parties people often take home food – this time it was my turn to give away food). And Carmen and Elsworth need to taste…

Saturday I was exposed to a lot of Guyanese culture, besides cooking I attended concerts. Not only one, but two. The youths at churched had arranged “Holy Hip Hop Jump Up” to collect money for a trip to Barbados. So there were a lot of excellent dance performances, nice dramas (one I didn’t, however, understand because of the language), some funny programs and staring guests. I did not need to show any example of Finnish dances nor did I sing any Swedish songs – I only enjoyed myself. Afterwards I went with Karlene and Eworth to this other concert, with familiar names as Anil and Solid Youth (Rondell). The main star was a Jamaican man called Stichie. I hadn’t heard him before but he was good. I would say he sings reggae with influences of for example jazz. He would have been even better if I had heard him before and knew his lyrics.

This was all for the weekly report of Guyanese culture. I wish all my readers a blessed and warm week!

No comments: